And this, too, looks OK to me.

on mouseup
   put empty into field 1
   put "A" into field 1
   get numToCodepoint(0x2200) & numToCodepoint(0x1040F) & "V-"
   set the metadata of char 1 of field 1 to it
   put the metadata of char 1 of field 1 after field 1
end mouseup

I guess the problem is in the merge as you thought.

I did notice in the dictionary that setting the metadata of a line is not the
same as setting the metadata of all of the characters of the line.

Dar Scott