I am sure my routine could be optimized some for performance. My consideration of doing this via OSX/Windows API using LCB FFI is only partially about performance. I think an advantage is that the OS vendors (with way more resources than me) are more likely to keep the algorithms reflecting up to date best practices (I know some of you will laugh at that).  Additionally, I might hope that, at some point, LiveCode corporate might consider taking it over if it was an collaborative open source effort LCB library than a LCS script.

On 9/17/2019 6:45 PM, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

Paul:

> I have a LiveCode Script (LCS) routine that attempts to
> follow industry common algorithms for guessing the encoding
> of a text file.
> It's performance can be slower than I would like.

Howdy,

Even though LC 9 is exceedingly slow on some operations -(cough, cough, ahem, that's a topic in itself)- HOWEVER, I believe it's quite capable of satisfactory performance in this particular area without needing LCB, much less C.

Pretty sure I can optimize your legacy routine to work just fine. It simply wasn't designed for huge files, nor for LC 9's slow-mo loop speed, but that could be easily remedied with a few tweaks!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"