The inability to open HC stacks disappeared with LC 7. You can still open them in LC 6, save the stack, and then work with it in later versions.

I'm not sure what we'll do in Catalina when LC 6 won't run any more. I also sometimes use Chubby Bunny to emulate OS 9 and look at HC stacks there, but that will likely stop working too. Fortunately it's been a very long time since I needed to do any HC conversions.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jac...@hyperactivesw.com