Paul Dupuis wrote:

> When the 'effective rect' of a stack was introduced to provide the
> outer boundaries of a stack, along with the effective working
> screenRects(s), I rewrote all my complicated windows management code
> (and some of your clever tricks for Windows weirdness, Richard), to
> use simple elegant code that worked awesomely on all OSX versions and
> every Windows version until I tried it under Windows 10 and ...
>
> Not one of my happier days :-(

But at least it's a simpler workaround these day.

In the olden days the border width of a window in Windows was user-settable, so the only way to get that (and a few other relevant settings) was to obtain metrics from the Windows registry.

With Win10, if I read Mark Waddingham's comment correctly, the border can only be 1px, so all those old registry calls can safely go away with just simple hard-wired arithmetic.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems