Seems like most if not all this code has been done already in the dialog
itself. I’ll look into it because I wanted at one point to make an enhanced
answer dialog as well.

Bob S

I'm thinking that if I need to roll my own, then my approach might be to write a handler that adds or removes the button by script from the standard Answer Dialog. That was if LC Corporate every makes changed to the dialog, your project inherits them with a new built under a new version of the engine.

If you copy the dialog, then you either need to rename it and maintain it or do manual Inclusions and exclude the engine from conflicting with your copy.

I was thinking something like:

on mouseUp
  dontaskagain "on","Do not show this message again."
  answer warning "Some message I may not want to see again." with "Cancel" or "OK" titled "A Message"
  put it into tAnswer
  dontaskagain "off"
end mouseUp

command dontaskagain pActivate, pLabel
  -- usage:
  -- dontaskagain "on|off" [, <some label>]
  --   dontaskagain "on","Do not show this message again."
  --   answer warning "Some message I may not want to see again." with "Cancel" or "OK" titled "A Message"
  --   put it into tAnswer
  --   dontaskagain "off"

  switch pActivate
    case "on"
      -- setup the templateButton
      set the style of the templateButton to "checkbox"
      set the label of the templateButton to pLabel
      set the width of the templateButton to the formattedWidth of the templateButton
      set the height of the templateButton to 23
      --
      create btn "DontAskAgain" in cd 1 of stack "Answer Dialog"
      --

This adds the checkbox or removes it to the built in Answer Dialog dynamically. The problem is pre-positioning the checkbox. The dialog has a preOpenCard handler that does the position and if I position it ahead of time the code it the preOpenCard changes things

I think I need to insert a openCard handler into the stack dynamically, which would execute after preOpenCard, that positions the check box OR

attach a behavior script with an "after preOpenCard" handler, but I don't understand exactly how to do that??