Not to belabor the point, but why would the data grid be overkill in relation
to a table field? In what way? Cell editing actually works great. Double click
a cell and edit the contents. Finding and getting data is far easier in a data
grid than in a table field.

dispatch findIndex to group “myGrid” with “firstname”, “Bob”
put the result into tIndex
put the dgDataOfIndex [tIndex] of group “myGrid” into aFoundRecord

Or if you MUST search text:

put the dgText of group “myGrid” into tText
put lineOffset(“Bob”, tText) into tFoundLine
put line tFoundLine of tText into tFoundRecord

I’m not understanding how this is more complicated than the hoops you have to
jump through with a table field, which is incredibly unwieldy, cannot easily
support cell and column text formatting and alignment, has different cell
counts per row depending on the last cell you put data in, adds rows you may
not want simply because you accidentally clicked the field…

As far as I am concerned, datagrids make table fields obsolete.

Bob S

On Apr 2, 2020, at 4:06 AM, R.H. via use-livecode