Interestingly, the user's Library folder, and thus the Application Support folder is invisible on my Lion install. I can write to it OK, though (only tested as admin).

Marty Knapp
Josh Mellicker wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know, Lion permissions default to not allowing Livecode to create folders in "/Library/Application Support/" with the "create folder" command.

I believe that's true with earlier versions as well if the current user is not admin.

Apple recommends using the user's App Support folder, where LC's "create folder" seems to work well:

   Contains all application-specific data and support files. These
   are the files that your application creates and manages on behalf
   of the user and can include files that contain user data.

   By convention, all of these items should be put in a subdirectory
   whose name matches the bundle identifier of the application. For
   example, if your application is named MyApp and has the bundle
   identifier com.example.MyApp, you would put your application’s
   user-specific data files and resources in the ~/Library/Application
   Support/com.example.MyApp/ directory. Your application is
   responsible for creating this directory as needed.

<http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGUide/MacOSXDirectories/MacOSXDirectories.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010672-CH10-SW1>

There may be special cases where you'd need to use the system-wide App Support folder, but those should ideally invoke the admin dialog, since any access to system directories without that would pose a security risk.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World