Graham,
My demo stack was enhanced a lot by Hermann but I don’t know where it is, after
a cursory search. He added a bunch of other capabilities, but I felt a quick
look at the Google map docs would make it easy to add them. His expanded
version may be in the examples repository. I didn’t check it.

My main problem was to calculate the bounding lat/lons of the displayed map.

Good luck with it.

William Prothero
https://earthlearningsolutions.org