Mark mentioned,

> The only way I can ever do something like this is with the messagebox command
> line.

There appears to be something generally wrong when trying to manipulate the
layers of objects when groups are involved.  I think this goes back (at least)
to version 5.

The only consistent way I have found to put something between others is to cut
and paste *all* items of higher layer number than you want it to land at, and
paste them back  (which would be a problem for shared groups!)