Thanks to this thread for the realisation my remote db connections are not
secure. I just checked with Dreamhost and they gave their reasons for not use
SSL with their mySQL setup — unacceptable burden on their server and
undesirable for web app access; so in their opinion very few shared host
environments would enable SSL for mySQL.

So I need some middleware. LC Server would have been ideal, but Dreamhost no
longer install it ;-(. I particularly could have used LC Server to drive
mailman distribution list subscription/unsubscription tasks from the database
for which I do not have a good solution at the moment.

Neville