Ah, thanks, Brian - re-reading more carefully, I see how the first item in the
positionVarsList would provide the offset of the first non-tab character.

Re prettification, I’m trying to create a quick & dirty tool to process a set
of comma-delimited query strings - to see their common patterns. They have
nested label:value pairs, some of which expand further into arrays of varying
depth bounded with curly braces & square brackets but they’re not
standards-based JSON HTML or XML, so Coda prettification tools can’t won’t
recognise and clean them up for me.

It’s (hopefully) a one-off activity, so I’m hoping to get away with quick &
dirty text manipulation. I’ve made reasonable progress by iterating through
chars but now need to do some post-processing cleanup of the ’tab-nested’ lines
- hence the need to count the tab indentations.

I try to avoid arrays, as I can’t see the workings! :-D
Best,
Keith