Richard:
What you suggest makes a lot of sense. As someone who doesn’t build complex
apps very often, my first question is “why would I turn off error
notifications?” Would I miss something by turning them off when making a build?
Anyway I think it would be far more straightforward to just have a different
(linked) app to do the build.

Also, if there is a separate app, why couldn’t it take care of a lot of the
mystery of notarizing, adding certificates, etc, at the same time? That would
be a huge help. Maybe it could even include an installer. Yikes, I would even
pay a bit for that capability.

Best,
Bill

> On Apr 8, 2021, at 9:43 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
> <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Standalone building needs to be moved to a separate process.
>
> Handling it within the IDE process was fine as long as the only thing the
> Standalone Builder did was bind a copy of the engine to a copy of the stack
> file.
>
> But today, building a standalone means deep modifications to the stack file,
> and this has resulted in multiple successive layers of knock-on effects where
> design complications are needed to compensate for design complications put in
> place to compensate for earlier design complications.
>
> The end result of attempting to build standalones within the current IDE
> process is not merely cumbersome, but disruptive, confusing, and even
> requires CODE CHANGES from EVERY USER to compensate even further just for the
> build sequence.
>
> LC has gone from the simplest way to build apps to something no less onerous
> than most, and more confusing than many.
>
> Standalone building needs to be moved to a separate process.
>
> With that, LC can begin the return journey back on its path to the simplest
> way to build apps.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems
>

> Ralph DiMola wrote:
>
> > I never built a non-mobile standalone for the first 5 years of using
> > LC. For a mobile build nothing gets closed and gets built from the
> > stack(s) files on disk. What a surprise I got when I built my first
> > desktop standalone. I initially thought that something was very wrong
> > with the IDE and restarted.
> > After some searches I found that this is the correct behavior??? I
> > guess there is a reason for closing the stack(s) but I find it very
> > odd indeed.
> >
> > Ralph DiMola

William Prothero
waproth...@gmail.com