On 2021-09-10 19:10, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
The other was
The only caveat is that it might cause apps mutating lots of medium->large strings concurrently to take up more memory in general... > ... (and any issue arising from that could be resolved by moving to the 64-bit
windows engine).

I have been doing my tests on the 64-bit Windows engine. What am I missing?

The change I am making to the buffer extension rules means that mutable strings (i.e. those which the last action was modifying them, rather than copying them / fetching them) will take up more space than they did before to allow for possible extension (previously the maximum 'just in case' space which was allocated was 63 bytes).

This means that applications may take up more memory as a result (if they happen to have lots of large mutable strings in play at any one time).

32-bit windows engines have a maximum address space of 3Gb - so if an app was already approaching that limit, this might tip them over to start causing out of memory errors.

However, in this case, switching to use the 64-bit windows engine would resolve the problem as 64-bit address space is substantially larger.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/