On 2021-10-07 17:10, Pi Digital via use-livecode wrote:
The ‘save/purge/cancel’ is only intuitive to you it seems because you
understand the background. It doesn’t seem to make sense to us (and
certainly not a newcomer) because we have only our experience from
other software to go on and how we expect it to work. If we do a
saveAs in any other ware, we would never see a purge option. Maybe
just an ‘are you sure’ or a ‘this will have this kind of effect’
warning. So we would never expect this kind of behaviour from software
and know what to do with it. Hence the immediate initial responses to
my OP (which were hilarious by the way, much needed light relief).

As I said, this isn't anything to do with 'Save As' specifically - 'Save As' is doing precisely what you would expect... i.e. Saving the stackfile to a different file, and just as when you do that in any other application the filename of the stack changes to be the new filename.

What you are seeing is the mechanism which is in place to prevent two mainstacks of the same name being loaded into memory at once. That mechanism *only* occurs *if* something has attempted to load a stack into memory when there is already one with the same name (but a different filename).

The question to ask is why, in your case, 'everytime you do a Save As' is that mechanism triggered? i.e. There must be some script that is running somewhere (whether it be IDE, plugin, or code in one of the project's stacks) which is causing it.

So the first thing to ask is, is the recipe as simple as:

  1) Select stack you want to 'Save As'
  2) File > Save As
  3) Give a different name and Save
  4) Duplicate name Save/Purge/Cancel dialog appears?

Or is there any more to the recipe?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--