Thanks for more thoughts guys.  I do have a scale factor button, but don’t want
to stretch, so I use ‘letterbox'

The cinematography web page inspired me to experiment more freely and I found
that 3:2 seems to be a good compromise despite not matching any screen
’standard'.  It scales on screens pretty well, and fits reasonably well printed
onto a landscape A4 page, which is about 2.82:2

It is matches the aspect ratio of  DSLR sensors and classic 35mm film, which to
my eye at least, looks lovely.  Perhaps because it is very close to the ‘golden
rectangle’ (3:1.85).  That could just be me being a bit bonkers, but it would
be interesting to know if there is more widely felt appreciation of certain
aspect ratios.

So for now I am going with 1200x800

Cheers, & thanks again

David G