On 3/2/22 11:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
Jacque wrote:

 > so I'm not really looping through the keys, just looking for
 > a matching one. The loop is for each user word I need to find.
 > If there's no key, then the word isn't legal.

What is the ratio of keys whose values are "true" and those which are "false"?

There are no false values. The list of words is split as a set, so the keys are the dictionary words and all values are true.

And what is the ratio of writes to that array vs reads?

No writes at all, read only. The dictionary is stored gzipped as a custom property. On launch it is decompressed, split into an array, and stored in a script local. It's about 1.8 MB decompressed, I think. Maybe the array structure adds a bit. Not huge, but not small either. The SOWPODS dictionary was twice that size, but my puny tablet had no problem with it.

When the user submits a list of words, the handler sees if the array[userWord] is true. I used to just see if the value was empty, but either way it works the same. If no key is available, the word is illegal.

BTW, there's another place with a similar slowdown, but one thing at a time. As before, this second thing works fine on the tablet but is slow on my phone. Maybe the reason is the same.