There is nothing wrong with your method. But there might be situations where
you need direct access to the MySQL database, e.g. you are using 3rd party
software (in my case SQLPro Studio) or libraries. I have a customer who is
using a special Delphi library that only supports direct connections.

Okay that is not the case when using Livecode. But there might be servers that
do not run Livecode Server. In this case you cannot use your solution.
In this case SSH tunneling would be a safe solution.