This could be of course a corrupted installer file. Did you resent him the
file?
Did you zip the .pgk before you've send it by email? If not, then try to send a
zipped .pgk.

If you are sure, that the file is not corrupted, then ask your beta tester to
try the following:
1. select the .pkg file
2. press CMD-i
3. change "open with" to use intaller.app.

On which macOS version did you create the installer .pkg and which macOS
version is your beta tester using?

Matthias