David V Glasgow wrote:

> I am trying to alphabetically sort a list of unique strings, some of
> which have a leading space character.  I need these to sort as if the
> second character is the first character rather than all space prefixed
> strings being bunched together.

Would using the word delimited type help with this? e.g.:

  sort lines of field 1 by word 1 to -1 of each

> I just had a hilarious conversation with ChatGPT on this challenge.
> We ended up having a disagreement about whether a keyword “ignoring”
> exists in Livecode.  Please tell me it doesn’t.

I don't recall having seen an "ignoring" keyword in LiveCode.

But I have seen countless articles about Vincent Cerf, Mark Cuban, Steve Wozniak, and a great many others much smarter than me cautioning against making any investment in ChatGPT for serious work involving precision and accuracy.

Once you see it's a caffeinated auto-complete, the useful and less useful applications for a tool that literally can't understand a single word it spits out become clearer.

This background from Stephen Wolfram is helpful:
https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

ChatGPT is fascinating, but since this isn't the first time we've been through the Gartner hype cycle with an "AI" tech (I first joined AAAI back when Expert Systems were a thing), even more fascinating has been watching humans forget that the Trough of Disillusionment will happen before we eventually reach the Plateau of Productivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartner_hype_cycle

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems