I’m saying that in the US, it isn’t clear *that* there would be copyright
protection for what the AI generated. The current caselaw for patents is that a
machine can’t be a creator—but patent and copyright function differently
(although I ultimately would expect the same answer for that particular
question).

The changes made to the AI output would belong to the person that made them,
regardless of the other answers.

But suppose that the AI output is subject to copyright.  If you took that, and
changed it, and then someone asked the same or similar question, getting
similar code from the AI, that wouldn’t be "derived from” your output from the
same question, and thus would be separately eligible for copyright by that
person.

Merely being identical is *not* a violation of copyright!