Hi Paul,

In the past, I aimed to align my application UI closely with the host OS, believing that a consistent UI ensures broad accessibility. However, over time, I've come to see that while UI continuity is beneficial, it isn't the ultimate solution.

This realization hit home when I managed a team for a large enterprise client. We had programs that mimicked the host OS UI while others sported a completely unique UI. To my surprise, the consistency of the UI mattered little to my team—most only used technology to fulfill their core tasks. The outdated screen snapshots and hand-annotations in the department's process documentation underscored this point.

The design nuances, like font choices, weren't as problematic as a complete UI overhaul. An entire UI revamp meant new documentation and snapshots, consuming a significant chunk of my time and increasing my managerial stress. While one could argue these issues stem from a lack of training or poor work environment, the reality is such teams exist, and they will be your users and sources of feedback.

Now, my focus is on ensuring the UI fits the program's purpose rather than matching the host OS. Continuity matters, but it isn't paramount. I tread cautiously with UI changes, avoiding unnecessary complexity. Gathering feedback early and consistently is key. If considering major UI shifts, I seek feedback upfront.

Considering the topic, I highly recommend Bret Victor's "Inventing on Principle" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv66718DII) I believe LiveCode resonates with Bret's ideas, and I've been integrating his concepts into my work. Well worth the engaging 54 minute presentation.

Hope this provides some insight,

Derek Bump