I'm guessing here:

Paths on local Windows systems are typically driveletter:folder\folder\...\file.extension
Window scan use UNC paths, such as:

|\\Server2\Share\Test\Foo.txt|
When we had our first customer who was extensively using UNC paths, our software broke until we updated it to allow for both style of Windows paths to be handled properly.

Windows backslash \ gets converted to a / in most LC file paths (for example, the result of a open or save file dialog

Perhaps the IT did something to require only UNC paths and the // after the binfile had it look for a server rather than a local file?