There are command-line utilities that will take a pdf page and render it onto
an image and store the image as a standard file.  Some work with multiple page
documents.  These can work with the LiveCode shell() function.

Dar

On Sep 29, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:

> I find all of this somewhat tantalizing, but the only way I've found to make
> a PDF document useful in what I'm doing is to take a screen shot of it and
> then paste or import it as an image into the other application. Though I do
> this mostly in MacDraft, I should imagine that the same technique can be used
> in LC, since I often use MD as a method of transitioning different kinds of
> images into LC. Of course I'm interested in what you "see" in a PDF; not what
> else there might be there, of which I know nothing. I don't understand all of
> this "parsing" of data from or in a PDF.
>
> Joe Wilkins
>

> On Sep 29, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Dar Scott wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Ken Ray wrote:
>>> Are you looking at just extracting the images? Or other relevant parts of
>>> the PDF? The reason I ask is that it looks like binary data is always
>>> contained between two lines: "stream" and "endstream", so extracting just
>>> the streaming data should be pretty quick to do; although the next step
>>> would be going to read the bytes of what was extracted and then determine
>>> if it's an image or some other thing that had to be represented with a
>>> "stream" in the PDF...
>>

>> There are a couple issues that complicate this in general.
>>
>> The parameters needed to process the stream need to be parsed and they can
>> be far away.
>>
>> There are many stream filters (some complicated compression) and they can be
>> nested.  I looked at a corpus of PDF files and, yeah, a several are used in
>> practice.
>>
>> However, if one needs to parse the output of a specific program or a
>> specific model of a scanner, then the work to do parsing in LiveCode is a
>> lot less.
>>
>> I hope that makes sense; I'm a little under the weather today.
>>
>> Dar

---------------------------
Dar Scott
dba
Dar Scott Consulting
8637 Horacio Place NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Lab, home, office phone: +1 505 299 9497
For Skype and fax, please contact.
d...@swcp.com

Computer Programming and tinkering,
often making LiveCode libraries and