> You can also do a limited form of displaying a PDF in a window (you can't get
> or copy any selections/content in it though and can only navigate under
> script control by page) through InterApplication communication (IAC)

Yes, I think this can actually be done with a Player object too, but it gives
you the same results (no selection/content).

> To open a PDF in LiveCode where you can actually control navigation through
> script control and get or set the user selections required two things: (a) a
> PDF library with APIs supporting these actions and (b) creating a set of
> LiveCode externals that in turn use the PDF APIs to provide these functions.
> The main problem with this approach is that all (or all we could find) of the
> open source or free PDF libraries are woefully immature and lack major
> functionality. Only commercial PDF technology has the supported APIs for this
> and whether Adobe, Foxit or other commercial PDF technologies providers, all
> charge typically based upon a per unit shipped royalty model. And some, like
> Adobe, are really expensive.

Is it possible to open a PDF in a revBrowser control? That *should*
(theoretically) give you the same ability as you have with a regular web
browser - although you may not be able to "get" the text of the selection in
any meaningful way...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: k...@sonsothunder.com