Do you have multiple audio devices connected to your system?  If so, make sure
both input and output audio settings are set for the same device.

Todd's message confused me because I have an app that I recently updated which
plays sound that I know was working fine.  Sure enough, when I saw this message
and went to test it, no sound!  So a little digging turned up the fact the both
input and output sound devices need to be set to the same device.

Odd, but it's working here for me.

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design