> Thanks Andre, I did look at special folders but it appears the only location
> on iOS and Android with read/write access is the 'documents' special folder.

The iOS release notes list these locations as valid for files:

home – the (unique) folder containing the application bundle and its associated
data and folders

documents – the folder in which the application should store any document data
(this folder is backed up by iTunes on sync)

cache – the folder in which the application should store any transient data
that needs to be preserved between launches (this folder is not backed up by
iTunes on sync)

library – the folder in which the application can store data of various types.
In particular, data private to the application should be stored in a folder
named with the app's bundle identifier inside library. (this folder is backed
up by iTunes on sync).

temporary – the folder in which the application should store any temporary data
that is not needed between launches (this folder is not backed up by iTunes on
sync)

> This seems a bit 'open' for login details - both in terms of accessibility
> and the potential for the file to be deleted.

Your app is sandboxed. Every iOS app that stores login details stores those
details in one of the valid folders.

> Do I guess correctly that there is then additional LiveCode magic dust (that
> I haven't learned about yet) which can be applied to the files to protect /
> hide / encrypt them when in such a seemingly open folder? :-)

You files are encrypted (as I recently discovered). Check out this forum
thread:
http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9468&sid=b17306c823b589abcc24e7954ce81884

Cheers

Gerry