I'm still learning how things are supposed to be on iOS, so this is just a
thought.  I think you almost always "suspend" unless the user pushed a button
on the app to "quit".  I can't point to any guidelines.  Maybe there is some
clear function that can also bring the state of the app to the same as after a
"quit".

Dar