On 03/25/2012 12:38 PM, Richmond wrote:
I have spent some time playing around with PearOS,
and can honestly say "it sucks";

I installed the latest version, Comice OS 4, and gave it only a quick look. While I don't mind if someone likes it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially with hopes that it might an easy transition from OS X. Choosing Comice Classic at login, I did have a working dock with icons which included "Finder" so finding my home folder was a cinch. The Dock icon set mysteriously changed at some point and I could not find an obvious way to do that deliberately. Beyond that, the control center made me feel mostly like there was little I could do to take control. The software center seems very easy to "get", though, and that's a big plus. The UI has with good snap, but in the end, a lot of simple basic stuff is not intuitive for the new user. I think even less than most of the more traditional flavored DEs.

I also discovered that my unmodified install is useless with Livecode, which is Pete's interest. There are all kinds of problems with characters in scripts. you can't use "/". Quotes are treated literally as in:

put "something" into tAnything; put tAnything

returns "something" with the quotes. If someone can tell me what's the likely cause, I'd be interested to know :D Even more interested in knowing how to remedy it.

It was only a cursory look. I've never liked the stock OS X Dock and always ran it without 3D, reflections and animations and set it out of the way in the lower left corner, so this was definitely not a positive feature for me, but that's a matter of taste. That said, this distro has some real drawbacks in my opinion. Pete, this is not the best choice. Sorry to have brought it up.

Warren