When we were creating the Expanded Books series we had some challenges in
fitting the longer books onto a floppy disk. We made the files as .SIT, that
helped, but still longer books were a tight squeeze. One trick I did was to set
the hint bits to zero, that alone would save enough space that a borderline
book would then fit. It might mean that the first searches wouldn't be as fast
as they could be, but our search method was pretty fast, so it was worth using
that trick.