On 8/14/12 8:23 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
I'm confused about the purpose of these messages.  As an example, consider
the revPreOpenStack and its equivalent preOpenStack

If I register my plugin to receive revPreOpenStack messages, then I get
that message when any stack is opened in the IDE which is great but is
there any advantage to doing it that way rather than having a preOpenStack
handler in a front script?

Using the plugin messages is less likely to interfere with the user's setup and message hierarchy, and ensures your plugin will always receive messages (frontscripts can be overridden by other frontscripts.) The rev messages were implemented to allow plugins to react to IDE events in a structured way.

If it's better to use the revxxx messages than a front script, is there any
way to pre-configure a plugin to receive selected revxxx messages before I
give it to a customer?

The settings are saved in a custom property of the plugin stack. As long as the user doesn't remove or change the settings, they will travel with the stack.