As a Digest reader, I see that your question has been ably answered by the
usual suspects… I just wanted to add that I have an app where a user is allowed
to extract a rectangular area from a larger image, with the added twist that
the original image may be too large to display, so that the extraction (a kind
of cookie-cutter approach) is done on the scaled-down image, but what gets
saved is the corresponding extract from the unscaled image, if you see what I
mean. Turns out it can all be done fairly neatly in LC. If this is of interest
I can explain more - if not, not much bandwidth lost.

Graham