On 10/18/2012 04:50 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
Finally got back to my Linux box - turns out the log in question is:

/var/log/dmesg

It may be a red herring, but as the DBus log it would seem a reasonable place to start looking for interapp conflicts.

If you don't see anything there that seems useful, you may want to try strace or some other tool to log interactions between the apps and the kernel.

I trawled through both dmesg and dmesg.0 and found no references to
'Evolution', "RunRev' or 'Livecode'.

I should like to reiterate my intitail posting, which was a request for other people to try to reduplicate what I found on 2 machines running UbuntuStudio (12.04 and 12.10 Beta):

Recently, doing a spot of Beta-testing for someone, I ran across something odd
with Linux, which I have subsequently confirmed myself.

'Evolution' Personal Information Client and Livecode standalones don't really like one another.

Personally I think Evolution stinks, and had only installed the thing
to test something out for somebody else. However it does seem to be installed as default with most GNOME-interface based Linux distros.

When a Livecode standalone is running (confirmed for LC 4.5 - 5.5) if one tries to launch Evolution
the computer freezes and/or crashes.

If one uses a dock such as Avant Window Navigator the standalone comes up as an instance of
Evolution rather than itself.

Richmond.