Hi again,

I have it working. Here is my working script:

on mouseUp
   global vDatabaseID --database ID

   --magic command for UTF8/mySQL, from forum user "bancock
   --without this I cannot send or receive UTF8 from mySQL
   revExecuteSQL vDatabaseID, "SET NAMES 'utf8'"

   --fld "query" contains SQL query, English & Japanese text
   put the unicodeText of field "query" into locSQLParams
   put uniDecode(locSQLParams, "UTF8") into locSQLParams

   put revDataFromQuery(, , vDatabaseID, locSQLParams) into myResult

   --fld "queryresults" holds data returned by mySQL
--works great; get a field that shows the returned English and Japanese set the unicodetext of fld queryresults to uniEncode(myResult, "UTF8")

--adding "unicodetext" to any part of "dgtext of group results causes error --following line does NOT work. Japanese text is broken in datagrid set the dgText of group "results" to uniEncode(myResult, "UTF8")
end mouseUp

My next problem, though, is that while I can get the returned Japanese into text or table fields, I cannot get it into a datagrid. I have googled, as well as read (again) all the unicode and datagrid lessons on the runrev.com site. Their lesson uses a dummy button to set a custom property?? I did the steps without really understanding them... with predictable (non) results!

Can anyone tell me how you get unicode text into a datagrid?

Thanks,

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan