On 20/08/2013 16:52, Richard Gaskin wrote:
This is why I love this community:

Collectively, there's nothing we can't solve. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
I've often thought that if I had *any* technical question, I could ask this list and there would be someone who knew (or at least had a very good idea of) the answer. So here goes ... :-)

Every night when I watch the news on TV, they say something like "Here's (John Smith) at the news conference held this afternoon. Warning - this report contains some flash photography".

Now I know why they give this warning - that repeated rapid flashing from still cameras can cause problems for nystagmus, epilepsy and various other disease sufferers.

What I don't know is why they don't just digitally edit out the flashing. Surely this must be (relatively) easy Digital Video Processing - you detect a non-trivial part (10% threshold??) of the frame which increases in light level for a single frame (assuming anything between 20 and 60 fps) and then returns to its original levels.

OK - I know almost nothing about DVP, but if they can overlay a touchdown line on a football field, or change a Coke to Pepsi can, or all those other marvels, surely it can't be that hard to eliminate 95% of the flashing - and wouldn't that would be enough to reduce it below the trigger point for most vulnerable viewers. It needn't even be done in real time - it could be left as a warning for any live showing, and then automatically removed by program and checked by a human editor before subsequent showings.

-- Alex.