On 3/31/14, 9:03 PM, la...@significantplanet.org wrote:
I can sort the lines of the field just fine on word 1 (date),  word 2
(name) and word 3 (number)

But when I try to sort on word 4, I don't know how to get it to come
out right because the $ in front makes it a string and not a number.

You can sort using a custom function and that's what I'd do here. If the values are in field 1, then:

on mouseUp
  sort lines of fld 1 numeric by moneySort(each)
end mouseUp

function moneySort pItem
  if char 1 of pItem = "$" then delete char 1 of pItem
  return pItem
end moneySort

Custom function sorting can do all kinds of clever things. The "each" is passed to the function and the sort uses the return value to determine the final order.