Richard Miller wrote:

> I am still looking into the PHP script option for corporate users.
>
> One alternative solution is to have my app pop up a notification on
> the users desktop alerting them to the problem. This avoids the need
> to send an email altogether. But I have been told that this solution
> is probably not acceptable in a corporate environment.

It seems the simplest, most flexible, and most efficient option.

Email clients will vary, but every computer with Web access will be able to POST via HTTP.

Every business has a Web site, and a script to log incoming reports could be written in LC in a few minutes, and be simple enough to take only a few milliseconds of server time.

If the company's Web server is off-limits (as is often a good idea; I like to reserve public server clock cycles for the public), you could easily set up any spare machine in the office as an intranet server to handle this. Intranets can be useful for all sorts of services - once you get this logging going you'll no doubt think of dozens of other ways pulling an old PC out of retirement for this can provide strong value to the company.

While it takes less than an hour to install Ubuntu Server and Apache and set it up as you like, if that seems daunting you could get started with a simple LC-based server like mchttpd.

But given the wide range of useful free tools for intranets, using Apache is a more flexible option. You could still use LC as needed via LiveCode Server, but would also have OwnCloud and anything else your company could find useful available to them.

Even if you had to build a custom machine for this, the ROI is strong. Private servers don't need a lot of horsepower (it's mostly just reading files and parsing text) - you may be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to assemble a cheap kit like this, and how well it performs as a light-duty server:
<http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19090325&pid=4226303>

That one totals US$228, and if you shop around there are even cheaper options available.

Small machines like that are also pretty green - most of the recent Atom CPUs have a TDP of just 10 watts, costing pennies a month to have available as an always-on resource.

Set the BIOS to automatically reboot on power failure, plug it into your network, and forget about it - it's like a network appliance, always there for any services you put on it.

The oldest one I have in my office uses the Atom 230, one of the first and least powerful Atoms Intel ever made. Yet it handles Apache, OwnCloud, LC Server, and a custom server built on mchttp very well.

Besides, most corporations already have intranet servers - why not use them effectively by hosting new services as needed? If an intranet isn't managed flexibly enough to respond to the ever-changing needs of an organization, the problem isn't a technical one, but an opportunity for personnel review. ;)

A good IT team will be able to deploy secure separated spaces for new services easily. After all, every successful business understands that the only constant is change.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World