Dear LiveCode Gurus,

Looking at the following blog post, it looks like LiveCode could be a great
tool for producing more easily understandable and maintainable command-line
tools:

http://livecode.com/blog/2014/03/06/livecode-server/

Prompted by that, I am trying to create a LiveCode shell script, which will be
run under the commercial version of LiveCode server, 6.6.1. My script will need
to respond to several commands - ie., ‘help’ - by outputting several lines of
information to the Terminal. I am finding, however, that Server is choking if I
create text programatically that contains a ‘return’ character. Example:

—
#! path/to/livecode/server

put “Hello World!” & return & “Hello Galaxy!”
—

Seems to output *only* “Hello Galaxy!”. It’s as if the terminal is ignoring the
previous line, and outputting only the last.

Doing the following yields the same result:

—
#! path/to/livecode/server

put “Hello World!”
put return
put “Hello Galaxy!”
—

I *can* get the Server to output several lines if I get it to *parse a text
file* directly to the Terminal. For instance: if I put the following text in a
plain-text file…:

—
Hello World!
Hello Galaxy!
—

…and call this file “plaintext.lc”, and then get the server to parse it to the
Terminal, by using…:

—
$: /path/to/livecode/server plaintext.lc
—

Then I *do* get both lines of text.

I then tried to build a test script that just outputs the result of one of the
built-in functions that return multiple lines - such as:

—
#! path/to/livecode/server

put the folders
—

This seem to produce garbled output to the Terminal - it actually looks as if
the lines of the result were all overwritten on top of each other.

>From the blog posting above, it clearly looks as if I should be able to do
>this rather simple task, but I’m stumped. I’m starting to think that maybe
>6.6.1 is not the version that was used in the sample script shown in the blog
>- perhaps a developer preview of 7.0, which handles unicode differently, is
>being used, and this could account for the difference in behaviour. In any
>case, from my end it seems to be impossible for me to write a script like the
>one being shown.

Is this perhaps something stupid I’m doing at my end? Or is it really a
6.6.1->7.0 issue?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards to all,

--