On 09/06/2014 00:31, Richard Gaskin wrote:
In broad terms:

- Forums as a central working group resource we can use to explore ideas, assemble teams, and manage projects

Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get the forums mirrored (or gatewayed, or whatever the right term is) into e-mail ?

I find the forums impossibly slow and tedious to check, search and read. Maybe I need to do it every day, maybe I need to use some option, or some external tool, maybe there is some way to get it to show me only the posts I haven't read yet (or highlight them?), or some way to download all new posts for off-line browsing, or .....

But right now, I go to the forum page and all I can see is 60 or 70 sections, some or all of which might have posts I might or might not have read - and it takes an age to go into each one and see if I can remember whether or not I've seen everything.

On the other hand, I read the use-list and the dev-list - each time I go into my email, I find a simple, sorted, threaded (if I want) set of new postings - I read them (or skip them) and I'm very quickly and easily done. And if I am connected to the 'net, they are all downloaded and I can read them later even if I'm not connected (which happens often).

Net result - I read and sometimes/often respond to the email lists, and every so often I try the forums for a day or two before giving up in frustration.

Summary - please either gate-way them into an email-based system, or give some instructions on how the forums can be made to be user-friendly (which may well just be over-coming my ignorance :-)

Thanks
-- Alex.