Thanks to Mark and jbv for the good advice.
I ended up using the "for each line..." since that was easy and fast
Larry

----- Original Message ----- From: <j...@souslelogo.com>
To: "How to use LiveCode" <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: which is faster for searching?

Larry,

"repeat for each line..." is definitely faster

and

  repeat for each line j in myVar
     if j contains myText then
     end if
  end repeat

should be pretty fast.

jbv

I have a large variable containing about 3000 lines of data - each line
about 100 characters.

I want to search through the variable and find all the lines that contain
a specified string

Should I use (repeatedly) "lineoffset...", or should I use "repeat for
each line..."  or maybe some other faster way?

Or with only 3000 lines of data, does it even matter?

TIA
Larry