Oops!  Yes, I had forgotten to rename that variable. That helps.

However, even when it identifies a duplicate it still allows the script beyond
the “else “ to execute. Plus, depending on what line the duplicate username is
located in my csv file, it loops that many times.

So if username “John Patten” is on the third line of my csv text file, the
resulting “put” will look like the following:

John Patten, password, jpat...@bmail.com, Button 1
John Patten, password, jpat...@bmail.com, Button 1
John Patten, password, jpat...@bmail.com, Button 1
Sorry, username ( John Patten) has already been used. Try another.

What I need to happen is the just the last line, otherwise it will create a new
entry for an existing user.

Is there a solution to this, or does LiveCode server run straight through
if-then constructs?

Thank you!

John Patten
SUSD