Hi Richard

As it’s evident I’m interested in this, I had a quick look through the User’s
Guide sections on arrays as you suggested to Thierry. FWIW I think it is pretty
helpful, and it gives a very good idea of the power of LC arrays and the
corresponding built-in operations.

I think the vocabulary needs tightening up a bit, especially with the term
‘sub-array’. This needs to be explained at the beginning, I think. Also the
examples could be expanded: for instance, when it explains that the arithmetic
operations applying to arrays work on

> all the elements in an array where the element is a number

there are no examples of arrays which mix numbers with elements that aren't
numbers (is the text 'one' a number or not, for example? Is an element which is
an array containing only numbers a number? I think this kind of thing should
not be left as an 'exercise for the reader' as my old maths books used to say.)

Another point is to be a bit more explicit about the fact that these are
associative arrays, since some readers will have come from a background where
arrays always have numeric keys and are thus inherently ordered (I am one of
these people). Another thing that might occur to someone who's used a different
environment is to wonder whether if I put say a number in an array element, can
I then replace it with an array or some other kind of item? The answer has to
be 'yes', which in a way is a consequence of LiveCode not using strong data
types.

There is also a certain amount of jumping around required of the reader - for
example, the User Guide makes you look up 'combine' in the Dictionary if you
want to find out if it's possible to preserve the keys of an array during a
'combine' (it is). It would be better, I think, to have a bit of redundancy and
put this info in the Guide along with an example.

I could go on, but perhaps it wouldn't be productive.

Cheers

Graham