Mike - I'm happy to report that this is totally resolved. I was using something else as the text of the Desktop.ini file. When I switched to simply:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=genericapp.ico

with no path whatsoever, everything began to work flawlessly.

Thanks for going the extra mile with me on this one. Tricky thing, wasn't it?

Many thanks!!!!