Bob - just in case you're interested, I realize now how I missed this. Your simple solution to select a line in the script editor window works only if the script editor window is already open. I was trying to open the script editor window and immediately select a line in it. This is I ran into problems.

Nonetheless, there are a number of work arounds including sending the command to do the selecting /after /the script editor window is open.

Thanks again.