On 06/05/15 10:42, Mark Waddingham wrote:
On 2015-05-06 01:53, Peter Haworth wrote:
Right, this is where I get confused on the issue of whether there are
uppercase equivalents of all lowercase glyphs in all languages. The link
you provided sheds light on this

The Greek alphabet does have upper and lower case variants. However, in the case of typing 'qwerty' and 'QWERTY' using a Greek keyboard layout then you get the strings:
  qwerty = ;ςερτυ
and
  QWERTY = :΅ΕΡΤΥ

Which (by virtue of the punctuation and the terminal sigma on q and w) are definitely not the same when compared caselessly ;)

Mark.

i.e. Don't assume that shift-<letter> gives you an uppercase version of <letter> in any keyboard layout.

I'm a slob, a lazy slob, a very lazy slob, so I tend, like water, to take the lowest and the easiest route.

So my first port of call re Greek script would naturally be here: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0370.pdf

Then I would set up a false on-screen keyboard ( and/or just remap keys via "on keyUp") so that the Greek
Unicode chars lined up with the keys on my keyboard.

I have repeated this "trick" very successfully with Devanagari-Sanskrit, Old Church Slavonic and Anglo-Saxon.

I am also very keen on little for . . . next loops involving phrases such as "if shiftKey() is down" . . .

Oh, and to any Greek types who may be lurking around, I should like to wish them a Happy St,. George's day.

I will be out for the rest of the day as a cousin of my wife is called Gergana, so we are having a picnic sous les arbres.

Richmond.