On 2015-08-19 20:52, Richmond wrote:
I might actually "pull my finger out" and change my Xubuntu box over
to a 64-bit version of the OS only because:

1. LiveCode 8 ?????

2. VMware player does not work on Xubuntu 15.04 or 15.10 with the 4.1 kernel.

However, I am hoping I can do this while hanging onto my HOME partition . . .

Can this be done?

Yes, I did exactly this a few years ago (in fact, I think I went 32-bit, to 64-bit, to 32-bit, and back to 64-bit, bringing my /home all the way).

Unless you have custom-compiled programs in /home, you should be fine. Otherwise, you may need to compile them again, or install 32-bit compatibility libraries (because 64-bit Linux can still run 32-bit programs). Good luck!

                           Peter

P.S. I recommend making good backups first, of course. But I'm sure you already have them. :-)

--
Dr Peter Brett