Hi John,

That "article" just makes a statement without any explanations. Terms like "actual expression or execution", "software concept" and "program logic" are rather vague. You can't copyright those, simple because you can't define them.

A user interface, however, can be copyrighted if it is a creative expression by an artist. Probably, you can't copyright a GUI if you're just using Apple's or Microsoft's GUI components, but you can definitely copyright the visual components of a game and the logo's and icons in a utility window.

That leaves algorithms and other trade secrets. For algorithms and other technologies, you can register a patent, but I believe Richmond didn't want to go that path.

I strikes me that I have never seen any of those copyright registration websites giving examples of their services being successfully accepted as proof in court.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com