Roland-

A few thoughts without in any way trying to detract or distract from your wonderful post:

FileMaker and LiveCode are different products aimed at different audiences. FileMaker is essentially a one-trick pony: it does an excellent job at providing an easy-to-use front end for database design and use, and probably does a better job at this than any other tool I've seen on the market. Ever. Its scripting language gives you the ability to string together predefined macros, and while these are mostly adequate for any database job you are constructing, you can't modify them or add new ones, so you sometimes end up with rather awkward constructions and tables that may not always be linked up in intuitive ways.

LiveCode, on the other hand, is designed to be a construction kit that provides an extensible toolbox for general-purpose applications. Some of the database functions require more work because LC isn't designed primarily as a database tool. It's also not designed to be a graphics tool, although it's possible to do some amazing graphics work in LC if you happen to be Scott Rossi. It's not a network tool, although for many tasks all the networking features are there. And on and on.

Yes, I'd love to have FileMaker-like database-aware controls in LiveCode. I'd love to have a lot of other things as well. Some of these are in progress, some can be added through third-party extensions, some need to wait for LiveCode Builder in LC8, some you may have to create yourself or wait for someone else to do it for you.

That said, I absolutely agree that LiveCode needs that out-of-the-box magic that hooked us all in the first place. Knowing that all that power is in there somewhere isn't enough. That initial Aha! spark is an empowering Maker moment and people need to experience it in their first brush with the environment.

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com