> On 11 Oct 2015, at 10:10 pm, Mark Waddingham <m...@livecode.com> wrote:
>
> Basically, we needed sideline information which wasn't suitable for inclusion
> in the actual module format, and thus it seemed sensible to put the other
> information the IDE would need in the manifest too rather than it having to
> both interrogate an XML file *and* introspect on the loaded module).

Ah, forgot about stuff like property editors being in there.

> At some point the metadata expressed in widget lcb files might well get put
> into the compiled module blob - but it seemed more expedient whilst
> developing the ideas to keep it separate as it is easier to change the XML
> format that is emitted and read than it is the compiled module blob format.

Fair enough

> The export to array stuff is the best (future) basis for things such as
> lcVCS. Indeed eventually, if it was rolled out across all engine objects, the
> stackfile format would become arrayEncode(stackExportedToArray("my stack")) -
> although that would require a much more efficient arrayEncode format
> (something which has been at the back of my mind for ages - but nothing I've
> had time to put into action).

Wouldn’t it also bloat the file format considerably with array keys? I guess
the advantages will probably outweigh the disadvantages though. You would never
need to worry about file format changes again unless you had to change the
arrayEncode format.