Monte Goulding wrote:

>> On 23 Oct 2015, at 8:19 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>> How hard would it be to make a good text editor in LiveCode?
>
> It might not be hard but probably take considerably more time than
> the time it takes to read this thread and has taken for @peter-b
> and contributors to put together the livecode language package for
> atom. It took much less time for me to develop the linter for example
> than I spend on debugging simple little syntax errors in livecode
> server scripts for example. The ROI was well worth it and with Atom
> covering the 3 desktop platforms it seemed a no brainer. I’m not
> doing much with LCB yet but I suspect getting live script errors in
> that will be a bit of a boon too. Whether folks use if as an
> alternative editor for stack scripts was not really my goal when
> making contributions but I’ve already found it useful for script only
> stacks.

My question wasn't about ROI, but where I was going with that is less interesting than your reply, which raises a question of its own:

Given that PHP, Python, Lua, Ruby, and most other scripting languages deliver a great engine with no IDE at all, why don't we leverage the community's and the team's interest in using external editors and just either bundle one with LC and/or let people use their own?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems