Matthias Rebbe wrote:
long time ago i created a program which creates a list of files of  backup cds
or dvds and stores that listings in a database with some additional information
like cd name/number.
So if the customer needs to know on which cd/dvd a needed fileis,  the database
can be searched. This worked fine a long time. But with time the customer used
harddrives for the backups.
So they imported now the file listing of harddrives. Even that worked fin. But
now with bigger drives and more stuff stored on the drives my program is not
able to import the file listing anymore if the number of files/folders exceed a
special number. It just freezes.

If i try to create a directory listing of such a drive in Livecode i get an
recursion limit error telling me that the recursion limit of 400000 was
reached. I tried to increase that limit, but i still get that error, but with
the newly set value.

I am using a script snippet which was posted by Scott Rossi to the list and was
originally from Geoff Canyon in 2002.
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/metacard/2002-August/002274.html

Is there a way to scan a complete drive with LC regardless how many folders and
subfolder that drive contains without getting that recursion limit error?

We had a couple discussions about this here a while back. The problem isn't recursion per se, since of course it's highly unlikely that any hard drive will have folders nested more than 400,000 deep.

The recursion error is thrown when there's inadequate error checking on the "set the directory to..." line, so that the directory never changes and thus the routine sits in a loop working on the same directory over and over.

If you check "the result" immediately after the "set the directory..." line and skip when the result is not empty I think you'll find the rest of you code will work well on just about any drive you'll encounter.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems